Friday, January 10, 2014

Books in the Book of Mormon and Articles of Faith



I'm hoping to teach all the books of scripture songs this year to Senior Primary.  I'm going to start with The Books in the Book of Mormon CS 119.  This blog has such great ideas.  The flipchart has wonderful pictures.

I'm adopting and changing her hand-clapping game to make it very simple:

4 lap claps
4 hand claps
4 left neighbor claps
4 right neighbor claps
repeat

I also love her idea of using a stopwatch to see if we can do it faster and faster once we learn it.

Flipcharts are a bit of a misnomer for me.  I never flip through them or hold them...too distracting while I'm trying to lead/focus on the children.  I usually attach a magnet to the back and slap it up on the chalkboard.  The pages go up and down fast and I can use them for Jr. and Sr. week after week without hassling with tape, etc.  To save money/supplies you can put the magnets on the back of plastic pages and just switch out the paper.

I'm also planning on teaching the Articles of Faith this year.  Focusing on one each month.  January=1st AoF.  For now, I will just use the church-produced cards with the words.  I bought them years ago and planned to use them for FHE and never did.  Ha!  That's not very creative, but this is just going to be a quick moment in singing time.


I think I will use the picture clues from this article in the friend.


These pictures include the number in the images and might be a good way to help kids match up the number and the concept.
My Lesson Plan for Sunday:
Opening:  Trying to Be Like Jesus 78-79
Birthday:  Feliz Cumplanos 282
Welcome song:  Hello (w/ lang flags) 260

Learn: Article of Faith #1 CS 122
He Sent His Son 34 (w/ actions)
Sr.=have 3 volunteers come up to the microphone and practice singing the question parts and having the rest of the Primary answer (program idea)
Jr.=play 4 corners singing all the way through twice

Jr.=Wiggle song:  Do As I'm Doing 276
Sr.=Learn: Books in Book of Mormon 119 w/ clapping game

Sing:  Snowball Favorites (their favorite songs we wrote on white paper and crumpled into a snowball back in Dec.)  until the end of time