Sunday, March 9, 2014

Love: I'll Walk with You

I used this lesson for the Sunday before Valentine's Day.  It's such a great holiday for reminding us about the importance of love in the gospel:  the pure love of Christ, love one another, love the Lord, etc.

Learn:  I'll Walk With You CS 140-41

I had a child come in from the hall sitting in this wheelchair (leftover from Grandpa before he passed away).  I explained that she represents a child that can't "walk as most people do."  I said, "some people might walk away from you (name of child), but I won't."  I explained that the composer of this song had a child with special needs.  He wanted the music to sound like walking because it's something a healthy person takes for granted that some people can't do.  I had them walk their hands on their laps in time to the music while the piano played.  I was surprised at how compassionate the children while thinking about how it would feel to not be able to walk.

Then we divided into two groups:
Group 1 sang:  If you don't walk as most people do
Group 2:  Some people might walk away from you
Together:  But I won't, I won't.
Repeat with next phrase one group asks the questions, the other group answers
I used the flipchart found here.

Jesus taught us by example the way we should treat everyone.  Then I bore my testimony of how keeping our promises to Jesus includes being kind to everyone.


I used the conversation heart decorations as a choosing activity with 5 songs we are working on listed on the back:
"He Sent His Son"
"I Know that my Savior Loves Me"
"Books in the Book of Mormon"
"Article of Faith #1"
"pick a favorite"
  Then we played a game with Hershey's Kisses.  They were wrapped in 4 layers of paper.  We would pass them down the row until the piano stopped.  Whoever was holding the package when the piano stopped would unwrap a layer.  I told the kids before that whoever unwrapped the last layer had to give everyone a "kiss."  I winked when I said it, so most kids picked up the play on words.  But there were a few 10-year-old boys that passed that package as fast as they possibly could. :)